The conversation between this geriatric brew-crew was influenced heavily by several television screens, all tuned to various sports channels. Some of the topics she opined are as follows (and I sincerely wish I was making these gems up, but I'm not. I actually took notes after her third comment):
- Current major league salaries: "No damn ball player is worth $25 million a year." When one of her companions mentioned that the owners were still making money, she conceded,"Well, that's the ONLY way they're worth it."
- Dallas Cowboys football: "I quit watching the Cowboys when Jerry Jones took over. I didn't even watch the Super Bowls...at least not all of them. But I am looking forward to going to the new stadium.""
- Roger Staubach: "There never has been and never will be a better football player than good ol' Roger."
- Classic Ranger favorites: "I can't narrow it down to one. I just love Nolan Ryan...and Jim Sandberg."
- Current Ranger favorite: "Oh, I can't think of his name, but he's really good. I think he plays catcher."
- The state of the PGA: "I don't really watch unless Tiger's playing. There is one other guy I like though, but I can't think of his name. Isn't there a Mike somebody who is really good? But he's not black."
- The Tour de France: "Those helmets they wear are just for show."
- New Texas Stadium construction problems: "That leads me to believe they are cutting some corners. I wouldn't go near that thing."
- On Chris Chambliss' ALCS clinching home run for the 1976 Yankees (see 3:42 of the link): "I hope to hell they called a penalty on someone."