Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Should we stick to poker?

My wife and I arrived during the middle of the second game of the first official batface softball team to join the cheering throngs of Jen, Ashlie and Karen. I couldn't make our opener due to familial commitments, plus I wouldn't have been much use given I was still (and am still) on ubertilt over evitegate. They immediately bombarded me with an assortment of questions surrounding the issue of when they were allowed to leave. Ashlie appeared the most distressed. I asked what's wrong, and she said something about "embarrassed for Adam" and "hard to watch." This seemed odd to me as Adam is a terrific volleyball player with incredible jumping ability. Oddly, Ashlie seemed shocked by this for a moment and then asked, "have you seen him run?"

A few seconds later, the opposing team hit a hot shot to third approximately 2 centimeters to Shane's right. Shane missed it by two feet, but did three somersaults flailing in the dirt to accentuate the effort. Shortly thereafter, team batface managed to execute a successful rundown involving all 10 players on the field and 46 throws. Never mind the fact that everyone on the other team scored twice in the process.

This led to an amusing exchange between my wife and I:

wife: who's the best player out there?
me: (chuckling) probably Shane.
wife: Really?

Go batfaces.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't there. Clearly.