Wednesday, October 12, 2005

At the risk of gaying out on poker (again)...

...I thought the intro to last night's main event coverage was awesome. I was totally fired up. You forget just how much money is at stake, but then to see Johnny Chan talking about how he can't even fathom that much money... wow. Good stuff. I also enjoyed seeing David Feldman (dragging his hands down his face in frustration) as one of the "agony of defeat" shots. David doubled me through at the beginning of day 2.

I only saw the very beginning of Day 1A coverage and the last 20 minutes of Day 1B. A couple of quick thoughts. First, how much better is WSOP coverage when it's not just the feature table? You really pick up on the spectacle of it more when showing outer table coverage (in my view). Second, not that I think it really matters, but there were some clear continuity flaws in just the twenty minutes I saw. For example, Moneymaker's aces get cracked at around 1:30 a.m., during the 6th or 7th level. Then "back to the feature table," where Negreanu is eliminated several hours earlier, during level 3. Oh, and Hellmuth didn't survive day 1. Don't know why they say he did. In any event, none of it really affected the show (or misled the audience regarding hands), and I look forward to next week.

No comments: