Friday, October 21, 2005

$1,060,000 to the winner


They're down to the final 6 at the Doyle Brunson Championship at Bellagio. TBR man crush, Gavin Smith is 3rd in chips behind Dan Harrington and Mihn Ly. Three lesser known players, including 2005 WSOP bracelet winner Jan Sorensen make up the rest of the final table.

I know everyone has their own favorite Minh Ly story. Here's one I like from Pauly via The Poker Prof's blog a couple days after the WSOP Main Event, where he finished 19th....

I chatted with Minh Ly in the Sports Book while I kept my eye on the Yankees score. He was upset with Mike Matusow. "He's not a gentleman," he repeated several times during our conversation. Supposedly, Matusow was talking tons of smack with Minh during the Main Event. On Monday night, Matusow arrived at the Bellagio to cash his $1M WSOP check. Minh was playing $4K/$8K at the time. Matusow wouldn't stop talking and said he'd play Minh for a $1 million heads-up freeze out. Minh took him up on his offer and left to secure the money. When Minh came back 20 minutes later with a sufficient bankroll, Matusow bailed on him. "He's afraid to play me," Minh added. Mike Matusow is good, but Minh Ly would out play him for sure. Minh plays in the "big game" with Doyle and Chip Reese. He's one of the last guys I'd want to play heads up, especially for $1M.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Great post, tiny b. Now if only your dad would stop calling off his chips to TBR when he's all but drawing dead, I'd love your family again.

TBR said...

Hey look, I'm a good player. And good players beat players that aren't quite as good yet covet the goodness of the good players. Get it? Good.

Pauly said...

Actually, I wrote that piece about Minh Ly and it was posted on Prof's Blog, where I'm a frequent contributor.