Saturday, April 19, 2008

Scattershooting-ish

With my first offering to this Award-winning sports blog, I offer the only on-line 2008 NBA Playoff Preview. As an avid sports fan who considers the NBA among his top 5 favorite North American Professional sports leagues, I feel there are few who can provide the insight I offer.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(1) LA Lakers vs. (8) Denver Nuggets
I think it's strange how the characteristics of a team can stay the same over decades, regardless of the number of times the coaching staff and roster have turned over. If this series was being played in 1987, I would have said that if the Nuggets (English, Vandeweghe) get hot, they can steal a game or two, but the Lakers play significantly better defense, play a better team game, are better coached and will win the series pretty easily. Huh?
Lakers win in 5.

(2) NO Hornets vs. (7) Dallas Mavericks
Those who know me, know that I did not like the Devin/Kidd trade. Its time for the Mavs to show me that I don't know what I'm talking about. Time to show me how Kidd isn't too old to play with the young, elite point guards of the West. Time to show me how Kidd can get the teams shooters good shots down the stretch. Time to show me how Kidd's "toughness" will lead the team.
On a separate note, how can Kidd be "dating" a "model" and that "model" has exactly no photos on the fucking internet? Hate the internet.
This series will be fun. BTW, I feel strange watching Peja without Vlade being somewhere close.
Hornets in 7.

(3) SA Spurs vs. (6) Phoenix Suns
Here's another make me shut up (not possible) series. After all the bitching from the Suns last year about how they were screwed when the NBA enforced a rule that the Suns clearly broke, they get to play the Spurs in the first round. They traded for Shaq to be able to finally match up with Duncan. Here's your chance. Go get it done. This series also has great drinking game possibilities. Drink every time Duncan or Nash complains about a call? Go vodka.
Spurs in 7.

(4) Utah Jazz vs. (5) Houston Rockets
I don't think enough attention was given to the absurdity of the Rockets' win streak earlier this season. I mean, look at that roster without Yao and look at Adelman's coaching history and explain that streak to me? You can't do it. Have I mentioned I love Deron Williams?
Jazz in 6.

By the way, I would have put a jump in by now, but I don't know how.

EASTERN CONFERENCE (really?)

If I told you that 3 (James, Garnett, Howard) of the best 15 players in the NBA played in the East, could you argue?

(1) Boston Celtics vs. (8) Atlanta Hawks
I hope Tree Rollins beats the shit out of Danny Ainge. BTW, Garnett is so not the MVP.
Celtics in 5.

(2) Detroit Pistons vs. (7) Philadelphia 76ers
I predict I watch 13 minutes of this series. Really would love to see the 76ers put up a fight.
Pistons in 5.

(3) Orlando Magic vs. Toronto Raptors
Seems like Tracy McGrady should be playing in this one. I'm built like Dwight Howard.
Raptors in 6.

(4) Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards
Struggling for anything to say about this series. LaBron is good. Gonz loves Jamison.
Cavs in 6.

Ship it.

No comments: